Save Energy in Your Houston Home!
The hot summer months are ahead of us in Houston, which means you may be looking for ways to cut costs on your energy bills. The KW Energy Corridor Team would like to offer you some tips on how you can do so! After all, we live in Energy Corridor Houston. Why not set an example for the rest of the state? Stay cool this summer and save money, it’s a win-win for you!
Here are some energy-saving tips that RISMedia recently shared:
- Replace your windows with Energy Star certified windows, which can shrink your energy bills and carbon footprint by an average of 12 percent.
- Install insulated vinyl siding to your exterior, which acts as a blanket of insulation against outdoor conditions.
- Optimize water flow by using shower heads and faucets with a flow rate above 2.5gpm.
- Fix common water leaks around the house and save up to 10 percent on your energy bill!
- Turn your thermometer back 7-10 degrees for eight hours per day and you’ll reduce heat or cooling by as much as 10 percent a year. This is easy to do with a programmable thermostat.
- Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs, which use 25-85 percent less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs, and can last 3-25 times longer! That’s a huge difference.
- Cook in a toaster oven or microwave more often, as they use 1/3 to 1/2 as much energy as a full-size oven.
- Only run the dishwasher when you’ve got a full load. This maximizes efficiency and saves energy.
- Replace your washer and dryer with Energy Star certified options and save over 7,000 gallons of water per year. That’s cutting consumption by 40 percent! It’s good for your energy bill and the planet.
- Reduce the target temperature of your water heater and cut 3-5 percent in energy costs. Setting the water heater to 120 degrees offers maximum efficiency.
From minor upgrades to everyday habit changes, you can make a big difference in your energy bill by making some small changes. It often makes more financial sense to make small changes to your Houston home first, before spending a ton of money on one huge project. Start with these tips!
Enjoy a cool, comfortable summer in Houston. When ready to accomplish your home-buying and home-selling goals in the Houston Energy Corridor real estate market, contact us! The KW Energy Corridor Team is standing by, ready to help you out.
KW Energy Corridor Team
11757 Katy Fairway | Suite 930
Houston, TX 77079